- Title: Crouching Heron!
- Medium: Ink on paper
- Duration: 12 hours
- Reference: Own Images
Many visitors and art collectors usually come up to me with these questions, why Wildlife Artworks are expensive and why there are fewer Wildlife Artists in India (Artists working exclusively on wildlife art).
It's tough to answer these question on the spot. For various reasons which contribute to the cost.
- Wildlife is very expensive hobby, camera, lenses and other camera gears are expensive investments
- Entries to Wildlife sanctuaries are skyrocketing day by day
- Ofcourse the time and money invested in observing animal behavior is more!
- Even after all the plan, there is no guarantee that the exclusive cat or bird will show up!
These are sure factors that affect the cost of Wildlife artworks, hence all these efforts from the artist adds up to the cost.
Coming to the second question why fewer Wildlife Artist in India
- We are giving the younger generation so much technology and they are not connecting to nature.
- I remember watching television only during Sundays at my neighbor's place. So most of the weekdays was about studies, playing outdoors and ofcourse painting.
- Spent so much time outdoors climbing trees, listening to chirping birds and enjoying delicious Mangoes plucked from the tree.
- There is major disconnect from nature and kids are fed with violent games.
- Lack of playgrounds in urban settings is also another worrying factor.
- Art and crafts commercialization, these coaching classes are also becoming centers for business, rather than concentrating on passing on the knowledge!
- Art is still not really considered a career option, its mere hobby!
Just read on what could be the likely solutions to the issues mentioned here!
It would be unfair, if I just put forth the issues and not mentions what i feel are suggestions to overcome these factors.
How to give quality artwork at a buyable price?
- Rather than investing heavily on camera gear for any upcoming artists, I would recommend renting them. Once we get to financial stability one would think about purchasing the same!
- Also artists need not be master class photographers, images are needed only for reference.
- Rather than flocking to the skyrocketing sanctuaries , there are so many other sanctuaries which are seldom visited by nature lovers. These sanctuaries are great places to observe nature and lesser known wildlife
- It would great to visit nearby lakes and parks where we get to observe lots of birds and flora.
How to reconnect to nature and bring in more Wildlife artists?
- To start off, it would great idea to take kids on walks at a local park, rather than spending time watching the idiot box.
- Occasionally take them on birdwatching trips with groups within the city itself.
- There are various Sketching groups with every city, it would great idea to join them on outdoors sketching.( Great example: Pencil Jammers sketching group- I have learnt a lot from this group and made some great friends as well) - Visit their webpage:
- What we are lacking in India is a Society for Wildlife artists, it is my dream to create one such Society were all Wildlife artists can gather and support each other.
This image was made for Birds of Bangalore project at lake, which later transformed into an artwork.
So nature and wildlife is all around us, we just need to keep our eyes and ears open!